Friday, April 20, 2007

My thoughts on Library 2.0

I'll confess, when I first learned about the whole 2.0 thing, it really gave me a headache. I felt like I was back in library school, focusing on my least favorite part...the sections of theory that felt the most detatched from the actual experiences of users and the workings of libraries. The thing that has actually finally given me a greater feeling of competence with 2.0, is having to explain it to others over and over again. While I'm no master, I can at least articulate where it is reaching for. And I think that is the important thing, is to understand that this is an atmostphere of reaching, growing, and shaking of rigid approaches of the past, to strive for a fluidity of learning and communication unimaginable just a few short years ago. I love the user-centered attitude of it all, though I do hope the needs of staff are not overlooked in the race to aquire the most tech possible. While I'm very excited about the user-focus of 2.0, I have to admit, reading about 3.0 and 4.0 just brought my headache back.

No comments: