Monday, April 9, 2007

Wiki exploration

It is interesting to me to look at wiki's in this point in time. They very much feel like basic websites did when I was in library school...brimming with potential, but still a bit clunky.

I explored the Book Lovers Wiki at the Princeton Public Library. The best part of this wasn't so much the execution of it, but the fact that they are having an adult summer reading program...with prizes! Hooray for that :)

I've used the ALA conference wikis before, and think they too are off to a good start...but since everything is done by volunteers and not actually assigned to people (so far) there can be pretty big gaps in content. Still, it is way more helpful than the magazine version, since you can pop out to links to attractions, restaurants, etc...so easily.

The Library Instruction Wiki seems really useful, for those of us who teach classes in libraries. I think most people don't see a need to re-invent the wheel everytime, so being able to access these resources could be a real godsend.

I think a booktalk wiki would be really helpful for teen librarians. Maybe we can change over our clunky database on the Intranet to this new format?

1 comment:

Snoodle said...

Ooh! A booktalk wiki sounds fantabulous. I bet you are a smish smash (that means excellent, I just made it up...either that, or I heard it somewhere) booktalker, DawnoftheRead.

It'd be great to have audio booktalks alongside the written script. Voice adds such a valuable dimension.